Thursday, June 4, 2009

Picking up Testosterone Prescription

I just wanted to relate my experience about picking up my prescription for T.  A week ago (5/28) I went up to Seattle a picked up my prescription from my doctor.  It's too highly controlled of a substance to be faxed or called in to a pharmacy.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from the folks at the pharmacy.  They're supposed to be friendly and not give people odd looks for their prescriptions, but honestly, I figured I'd get at least a little bit of double take bringing in a prescription for testosterone.  I mean, as much as I try to pass as a guy while out in public, my voice is quite clearly female and my ID still says "F" instead of "M" on it.  I was sure they would be weirded out by someone they certainly perceived as female requesting a prescription for testosterone.  I was pleasantly surprised when I brought in the prescription and the woman looked at it and went in the back to check that they had it on hand.  They did.  She didn't even blink at the request.

We still had to wait a bit for her to run the insurance info and input the prescription into their system. There were also several prescriptions ahead of mine.  Now, I had been to this pharmacy before, for other prescriptions, so my information was in their system, but under "Heather" not "Henry" (my prescription was written out to my current name).  When we came back to pick up the actual prescription, she had already updated their information with my new name.  Overall, the experience was actually a pleasant one (I had been bracing myself for a potentially unpleasant one).

As a side note, my insurance did cover the prescription.  I don't know if they will kick it back at a later date or not.  Insurance companies are notoriously inconsistent with coverage of transpeople.

No comments:

Post a Comment